Sunday, December 28, 2008

Planting Herbs

Even though I don't usually blog during the weekends, I thought I'd just pop in for a bit. It's been a really slow & quiet weekend for me so I did some gardening this morning repotting some plants I bought yesterday while out with the boyfriend's mother. They were all mostly herbal plants which I've been meaning to grow for the longest time: Thai Basil, Chives, Asiatic Pennywort & an Aloe Vera plant (which is a succulent & not an herb).

I love having a few sprigs of Thai Basil thrown into a salad or eaten with fish soup & Chives are excellent when added to a mushroom omelet or sprinkled on some hot cream based pasta. Well, in my humble opinion at least. Asiatic Pennywort (pictured on the left) is really easy to grow as long as you heap on lots of water & is used for all sorts of medicinal & therapeutic purposes but I bought it simply because it looks really lush & spreads like crazy which I like. I plan to grow mountains of it & give them away as hostess gifts. Aloe Vera on the other hand holds sentimental value for me as my late paternal grandmother was very fond of growing them & used the cuttings for all sorts of skin ailments... Kind of like the dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding with his Windex! Just thought it'd be nice to carry on the family "tradition" with the aloe (not Windex).

I'll let you know how my little garden is faring from time to time. I'm dying to get my hands on some really nice handmade planters so I'll be on the lookout for them locally & I'll be sure to share my finds with you too. In the meantime, I'm lusting after these Grobal Self Watering Plant Pots designed by Karim Rashid.

No comments: