Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Popiko Mail

I'm part of the mailing list for Malaysian Dogs Deserve Better & every now & then they send out a plea for help. So far, every piece of news from them tears my heart into little itty bitty pieces... I'm really looking forward to some good news but dogs in Malaysia really have it bad so I think I won't be hearing anything good for a long while. Anyways, this particular story got me sobbing. Read it & weep.


(The following has been extracted from here & is written from the dog's point of view)

I was born in such a malicious way. My father, A rottweiler went wondering on the roads not accompanied by his owner and met my mother. From the rumors I heard, the owners of my father watched happily while my father copulated with an indefinite breed, sadly my mother.

Months later I was born. Unfortunately my mother was viciously dragged away from me by the spiteful dog catchers. I managed to run and hide myself in some bushes, where I felt my little heart sob and break to pieces silently as I watched them drag my mother away. Her eyes were locked with mine, I don’t know her fate, and I coiled myself together and cried silently because I know, I’ll never feel those playful bites and the love of my mother again.

How long could I just stay there in the shrubs all alone, hungry? I started wondering around. I walked for days, looking for food. I dint know how and what to eat, so I started digging squander from the bins. I dint know I offended some people, but all I did was to satiate my thirst and hunger.
One day, a kind lady, saw me wondering and called me. She called me Puppy. And each time she came calling for me, she had food in her hands. Along the way, I met a friend. A white crossed breed puppy. We were friends. We roamed around together. We waited patiently for anyone from the neighborhood to offer us food. Sometimes, we were lucky.

We got food like chicken rice or bread. Sometimes, some people offered us spoilt food but we quietly ate it, as I said, to gratify our hunger. I did my duty as a dog. I defended most houses. I didn’t allow strangers near the houses that fed me. I did all I can to make sure all those kind people who fed me slept safe at night. But one very mean man didn’t like what I did.

He caught me one day and broke my front left paw. I watched him injure me, wondering what I did wrong. I howled in pain, I begged him to stop but it was too late. My bone could be seen, I couldn’t feel my paws anymore. I cried wondering what I did wrong. All I did was chase people away from the homes. Those mean bad people. For months I suffered in pain.

The kind lady whom calls me puppy took me to a place with a lot of dogs. All of them were in pain. She addressed him as a doctor. The doctor checked and walked off. Soon enough a worker came to this kind lady and said there was no assurance that my bones will unite.

The kind lady was heartbroken and brought me back. Since that day, I sit outside her gate. I guard her house. I take care of her. I still go visiting with my other friend to other houses that offer me food. I still guard their house. It’s been almost 6 months now since I injured my leg. I walk with a slight hobble. I mind my own duties but yet people abuse me.

People hurt me. They hit me because I seek shelter under their cars. Recently I slept in the trash area of a home. No one was home, and that cruel man that broke my leg came and closed the doors of the bin and locked it from outside. I was gloomy and cold inside. I shivered out of dread, till a girl came screaming and opened the doors. If this girl didn’t help remove the wood that locked the doors, I would have died.

But all I wonder is why can’t I have a decent home? Why can’t I be like any other dogs that are loved by their owners? All I need is a roof over my head and some food.
Perhaps just some clean water too. But im not asking for much, am i? I’ll offer you more than you can imagine. I’ll protect your house. I’ll make sure no one gets in without your permission. I won’t hurt you if you’re kind to me. I won’t make much noise. I will take all your whipping and pounding. And I assure you that I’ll be your faithful companion. Just give me a home, that’s all I ask for….i’m not as bad as you think I am…all I need is a chance…and a home…

Potential owners & sponsors for this unfortunate dog can call 019-3576477 for further details. Thank you for your kindness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish for the doggy lover, we can do something such as assist Sabrina Yip.....