Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Story Of Cosmetics

 

About a year or so ago I switched to using cosmetics, body care & home cleaning products that are, by order of importance according to my personal beliefs, 1) not animal tested, 2) paraben free & 3) carcinogenic & toxin free.

I found it very hard (not to mention expensive) to find alternatives to my daily beauty regimen & home cleaning products, and I have to admit that I'm still on the lookout for certain things (like mascaras & concealers) plus a lot of the products I use might be animal cruelty free and/or paraben free but contains mysterious chemicals that may be carcinogenic! I can tell you straight off that the experience was & sometimes continues to be very exasperating but in the end with a little perseverance, some research & A LOT of legwork I'm happy to report that I'm managing quite well. Whether or not this switch has improved my life/health is hard to say but my conscience is happy. Ok ok, enough ranting already!

Perhaps someday I'll share with you the list of stuff that I use but today I hope you'll have a look at the video above which “examines the pervasive use of toxic chemicals in our everyday personal care products, from lipstick to baby shampoo. Produced with Free Range Studios and hosted by Annie Leonard, the seven-minute film by The Story of Stuff Project reveals the implications for consumer and worker health and the environment, and outlines ways we can move the industry away from hazardous chemicals and towards safer alternatives. The film concludes with a call for viewers to support legislation aimed at ensuring the safety of cosmetics and personal care products.”

You can click on over here for more info.

P/S: The video was brought to my attentions thanks to Karen who tweeted about the video yesterday!

No comments: